Is the Kindle Paperwhite a better e-reader than the Kindle Fire HD?
I want to get an e-reader and have decided to go for a Kindle. The Kindle Fire HD is only £50 more but comes with many features I will be able to use so seems well worth it, but I assume the Kindle Paperweight is a better e-reader, is this true and if so how significant is the difference?
The Paperwhite is better for reading because it doesn't have an LCD screen. There's less glare and less eye strain. If you want something just for reading, the Paperwhite is definitely the way to go. But if you want to watch videos or play games or surf the web, go for the Fire.
The Kindle paperwhite is better for reading e-books than the kindle HD. However, the kindle fire HD has a lot more features and can be used for far more task than the paperwhite.So, the choice lies in your hands… If all you want to do is to read e-books, go for the paper white… But if you want to do other things such as watching videos, games, social networking plus reading e-books in a slightly lower quality than the paper white, then definitely go for the kindle fire hd…
There's a good actual user review here, on choosing the Kindle Paperwhite over Kindle Fire or other devices. It can help your decision:
The Kindle Fire HD has the following features over Kindle Paperwhite:
- Text to speech (to read book aloud to you, while Kindle Paperwhite has no audio)
- Color Screen (Paperwhite is 16-level gray scale)
- Web surfing (Paperwhite has web browser, but quite basic so just expect it to browse text-heavy website well)
- All other tablet features like video, apps, music (Paperwhite doesn't have these)
So if the above features are important for you, then just get the Kindle Fire HD. However, I'll recommend the Kindle Paperwhite if your main purpose is on reading. Below I list its benefits.
The Kindle Paperwhite over Kindle Fire HD:
- eInk screen, better for reading (Kindle Fire HD has LCD screen, though it's anti-glare and HD so still not too bad for reading)
- Can read under bright sunlight (can't with LCD screen)
- Lighter in weight, great for long hours reading (7.5 oz vs 13.9 oz)
- Have option to add lifetime free 3G (Fire HD only has WiFi, highest end model has 4G with subscription fee), to download books if you don't have WiFi at home
Hope it helps.
If you're in the UK, this user opinion will help:
The Kindle Fire HD is fine for short and casual reading. But for long hours reading, still the Kindle Paperwhite is the best, it's light to hold with one hand, and reading on the e-Ink screen is just like reading physical books.
Hope that helps.
- What are the advantages of basic Kindle e-ink reader over the Kindle paperwhite?
- Is the kindle paperwhite a good e-reader?
- Kindle Fire Deals and special offers for Kindle Fire HD & Paperwhite?
- Will a kindle fire case fit a Paperwhite Kindle?
- Does the Otterbox for the Kindle Fire also fit the Kindle Paperwhite?